Pennsylvania Sales Tax Litigation
Decoding the Sales Tax Litigation Process
At Sales Tax Helper, we help businesses and individuals navigate the Pennsylvania sales tax litigation process. We understand how overwhelming it can be to face a sales tax audit or tax appeal, so we work with you to develop a strong defense. Our team has years of experience representing clients facing sales tax disputes with the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue and can help you, too.
Call Sales Tax Helper LLC today at (866) 458-7966 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our sales tax litigation consultants today!
What Is Sales Tax Litigation?
Sales tax litigation refers to legal proceedings or disputes between a taxpayer, typically a business entity, and a tax authority, such as state or local tax agencies, concerning the assessment, collection, or payment of sales taxes. Sales tax is a consumption tax imposed on the sale of goods and, in some cases, services. When disagreements or disputes arise between a taxpayer and a tax authority regarding sales tax obligations, they may enter into a legal process known as sales tax litigation.
Common issues that can lead to sales tax litigation include disputes over the interpretation of tax laws, disagreements on whether specific transactions are subject to sales tax, challenges to the amount of tax assessed, and other matters related to sales tax compliance. The litigation process involves legal proceedings, hearings, and court appearances to resolve disputes.
Businesses may engage in sales tax litigation to contest assessments, challenge penalties, seek refunds, or clarify the application of tax laws to their specific circumstances. Sales tax laws can vary significantly between jurisdictions, adding complexity to compliance and creating potential areas of contention.
How Sales Tax Litigation Works in Pennsylvania
Sales tax litigation in Pennsylvania can be a complex process. Understanding how the process works can help you know what to expect and how to prepare your defense better.
The sales tax litigation process in Pennsylvania typically includes the following steps:
- Sales Tax Audit: If you are facing a sales tax audit, the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue will review your sales tax records and financial records to determine if you have paid the correct amount.
- Pre-Audit Conference: Before the audit begins, you will be invited to a pre-audit conference. This is your opportunity to meet with the auditor, ask any questions you have, and provide any additional information the auditor may need.
- On-Site Visit: The auditor will visit your business to review your sales tax and financial records. They will also review the items you have for sale and how you track your sales tax.
- Initial Audit Conference: You will be invited to an initial audit conference once the audit is complete. This is when the auditor reviews their findings and allows you to provide additional information or ask questions.
- Assessment: After the initial audit conference, the auditor will determine if you owe any sales tax. If so, they will send you an assessment.
- Appeal: If you disagree with the assessment, you can file an appeal with the Pennsylvania Board of Appeals. This is the first step in the sales tax litigation process.
- Administrative Hearing: You can request an administrative hearing if your appeal is denied. This is your opportunity to present your case to the administrative law judge.
- Court: If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the administrative hearing, you can file a petition with the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court. This is the final step in the sales tax litigation process.
Contact Our Pennsylvania Sales Tax Litigation Consultants Today
Navigating Pennsylvania sales tax issues can be challenging, but Sales Tax Helper is here to help. Our experienced team will guide you through audits, appeals, and hearings with personalized support. We offer expert advice and a strong defense tailored to your situation.
Contact Sales Tax Helper LLC today to schedule a meeting with our sales tax litigation consultants in Pennsylvania!
Jerry is the best! I made the mistake thinking I could deal with the use tax auditor on my own not realizing that I would be ...- Gary O.
Sales Tax Helper can make miracles happen. Jerry was able to wipe hundreds of thousands of dollars off a NY sales tax bill ...- Zalmi D.
Jerry was very helpful and listened to all our concerns. I will definitely be using his services again.- Joyce J.
Owning a Texas car dealership is demanding work, so taking on a Texas Sales Tax Audit was a daunting task for us – we didn’t ...- Ata A.
Salestaxhelper.com is run by true professionals that understand the complexities of operating a multi-state business. They're ...- Brennan A.